Laser Hair Removal
What is Laser Hair Removal?â€¨â€¨
Until the last few years, shaving, plucking, waxing, and electrolysis were the only methods of removing unwanted hair. In the early 1990's, the first reports of using laser energy to selectively damage and disable actively growing hair follicles were published, and since the mid 1990's, laser hair removal has become the "Gold Standard" method for hair removal.
How Does Laser Hair Removal Work?
There are several laser hair removal systems available today, but they all work using the principal of selective photothermolysis, in which a carefully timed pulse of laser energy passes through the skin and is absorbed and converted to heat energy at the hair follicle. The generated heat energy is designed to destroy the hair follicle so it cannot grow back.
Who is the Best Candidate for Laser Hair Removal?
Laser Hair Removal works best in lighter skinned, darker haired patients. Because the primary target in hair follicles is melanin pigment, less laser energy is absorbed by the skin and more by the hair follicle. Tanned skin also "robs" laser energy as it passes through the skin to the hair follicle. Because the pigment in the hair is the target for the laser energy, gray or white hair (which lacks pigment) cannot be effectively treated with any laser or light-based device.
Drs. Ford and Rothman are proud to feature the Lumenis LightSheer Duet - the gold standard for laser hair removal...
- Our Lumenis LightSheer Duet Laser provides a state-of-the-art, gentle approach to removing unwanted hair for men and woman
- a breakthrough in hair removal technology, this laser works in a fraction of the time of past procedures and is successful for men and women of most skin color
- reduces treatment time by 75%
- no cooling devices, gels or anesthetics needed
- features a large treatment head, so large areas may be treated in five or six visits (it is no longer needed to sit with a topical anesthetic for an hour prior to each of a half-dozen visits, for example)
- features two hair removal systems on one versatile platform enabling clinicians to optimize permanent hair reduction anywhere on the body